Andrew is an economic development strategy and research consultant with 25 years’ experience of evidencing, designing and evaluating public policies, strategies, programmes and projects. He has worked in consultancy his entire career, working closely with clients from a range of organisations and across many disciplines to improve economic outcomes for places and sectors.
Andrew brings a wide range of skills – technical, analytical and process – to assess the economic performance and potential of places, sectors, and markets, and to develop solutions for delivering increased competitiveness, productivity and economic resilience.
Until early 2017 Andrew led Trends Business Research Ltd, an economic development and research consultancy with a national profile and wide portfolio of clients. As Managing Director, he led the business, driving growth and developing new products and services whilst continuing to win, lead and deliver a wide range of commissioned projects. In February 2017 he established a new consultancy – Ortus Economic Research Ltd – with two long-standing colleagues and continues to provide strategy, research and evaluation services to a diverse range of clients.
Andrew’s career has been focused on delivering and interpreting the evidence required to create, implement and monitor effective strategies for sustainable economic growth. He has led and delivered projects on behalf of central government departments, non-departmental public bodies, devolved administrations and their economic development organisations, regional and sub-regional bodies such as RDAs and LEPs, local authorities, charities, universities, sector bodies and private companies. As well as having experience of delivering projects across a wide range of economic development themes (e.g. infrastructure, property and planning, skills, growth businesses, innovation, exporting, enterprise, productivity, business support) he also has significant experience of working in specific sectors (e.g. creative and cultural, digital, manufacturing, professional business services, low carbon, logistics, tourism, utilities).
Andrew’s key skills include: strategy development; place, sector and market analytics; delivering quantitative and qualitative research; business and stakeholder engagement, and; socio-economic research and evaluation.
- Doncaster MBC – Supporting the development of the Doncaster Inclusive Growth Strategy (including sector specialisms)
- Milton Keynes Council – Strategic Growth Advice and Economic Scenario Development for the Milton Keynes Growth Study
- Central Bedfordshire Council – A strategic assessment of economic output and productivity in Central Bedfordshire
- Hertfordshire County Council – Strategy to Support Key Clusters in Hertfordshire
- Tees Valley Unlimited – Offshore Wind Supply Chain Mapping
- Newcastle University – Impact evaluation of the National Innovation Centre for Data
- Design Council – Design Skills for innovation and productivity
- DCMS/CASE Programme – The impact of investment in culture, sport and heritage on local economic outcomes
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea – Employment impacts arising from Crossrail 2
- Sunderland University – Strategic development of the Advanced Manufacturing offer
- Sheffield City LEP – Evidence and advice on economic arguments for expansion of Combined Authority
- BIS – Business growth ambition amongst UK SMEs – performance analysis
- BIS, DECC and Defra – The size and performance of the UK’s Low Carbon industries
- Darlington Council – Economic Strategy Consultancy
- Sunderland City Council – Assessment of impacts arising from strategic economic development and infrastructure projects
- Sheffield City LEP – The development and justification of a strategy to support sector specialisms
T: 07966 582133